- This event has passed.
Unified Star Schema Workshop for Practitioners
April 7, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm MDT$250
In this three-part half-day workshop, data guru and author Francesco Puppini will guide us through the current state of the Self-Service Analytics world. He will explore data problems and solutions and explain how some of today’s top technologies fit in. He will then explain the “Unified Star Schema” (USS): special data model that acts as a foundation for all the possible analytical requirements of any organization.
Join us to expand your knowledge base and skill set in the world of Self-Service analytics. You will leave this workshop with a new understanding of how to approach your day-to-day data work.
PART 1 – Today’s scenario of Self-Service Analytics (9 – 9:50 am)
- Why is Business Intelligence not always accurate today (group brainstorming)
- Example of a small data set and three simple business requirements
- How is the solution typically implemented today (Live demo on Tableau and ThoughtSpot)
- Why do we need to break the solution into multiple reports
- Why are the reports not “fully integrated”
- Why do different BI tools sometimes display different numbers, despite reading from the same data source
- Why is it not possible to integrate all the reports into one single integrated access point
- Ad-hoc vs Self-Service
- Can we really say that Self-Service Analytics exists today, for business users?!
PART 2 – Data problems and solutions (9:50 – 11:10 am)
- The core principle: “some combinations of tables cannot be joined together”
- How Tableau solved this problem
- How ThoughtSpot solved this problem
- Some problems that were never solved by any technology
- The UNION as an alternative to the JOIN
- The flexibility of the UNION
- The challenges of the UNION
BREAK (11:10 – 11:20 am)
PART 3 – The USS solution, live demo, Q&A (1 h 20 min) (11:20 – 12:40 pm)
- The Unified Star Schema (USS): a new Data Architecture for Self-Service Analytics
- The Puppini Bridge: a UNION of Keys and Measures
- The business user experience with the USS (Live demo on Tableau and ThoughtSpot)
- The USS performance on massive data volumes
- The USS combined with Dimensional Modeling
- The secret to achieve Self-Service Analytics: combining technology and architecture
MEETING ADJOURNED (12:45 pm)
ABOUT FRANCESCO PUPPINI:
Francesco is the creator of “The Unified Star Schema” (USS), a special data model that acts as a foundation for all the possible analytical requirements of your organization. He is also the author of the 2021 book entitled “The Unified Star Schema: An Agile and Resilient Approach to Data Warehouse and Analytics Design”.